These cinnamon rolls pair wonderfully with a cup of PNW roasted coffee, just make sure there is enough to go around.
Cinnamon Roll Ingredients
½ c. granulated sugar
1 tsp. salt
1/3 c. vegetable shortening
1 c. milk, scalded
2 pkg. yeast
½ c. warm water, 105-115F
2 eggs, beaten
5 c. flour
5 tbsp. melted butter
5 tbsp. brown sugar (dark or light)
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
¾ c. Oregon Orchard® Dry Roasted Unsalted Premium Hazelnuts
Maple Glaze Ingredients
4 tbsp. butter
2 c. powdered sugar
2 tbsp. real maple syrup
2 to 4 tbsp. milk
- In a small saucepan, scald 1 cup of milk over medium/high heat. Whisk in the shortening, then the sugar, then the salt until it’s fully dissolved and a little thicker. Turn off the burner and leave to cool 10-15 minutes.
- While the milk and sugar cools, prepare the yeast by pouring it into a medium bowl. Use a candy thermometer to test the water temperature between 105-115F. Pour over the dry yeast, swirl it around, and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then use a wooden spoon or rubber spatula to gently mix until fully dissolved.
- Ensure the milk and sugar has cooled and thickened, then beat into the eggs. Add the dissolved yeast, and then begin to add the flour 1 cup at a time. As you add it, scrape the sides of the bowl and make sure the center doesn’t stay too wet compared to the outside.
- Turn out the dough on a lightly floured surface and kneed by hand for about 8-10 minutes. Place the dough in a greased bowl and cover lightly, leaving it in a warm area to rise for about 30-45 minutes (until it doubles in size).
- Turn out the dough on a large floured board and roll out thinly. Use a rubber spatula to spread the melted butter, then sprinkle evenly with brown sugar and cinnamon. Add ½ c. of Oregon Orchard Hazelnuts, then roll the dough as for jelly roll. Cut into 1” pieces with a sharp knife, and place in baking dish or on parchment paper. Let them rise in warm place or 100F oven with the door cracked for an additional 30 min.
- Bake at 350F (or 325F convection) for about 20-22 min.
- 10 min. in, begin the Maple glaze. Melt 4 tbsp. of butter in a small saucepan, then whisk in 1 c. of powdered sugar. Add 100% pure maple syrup, then whisk the last of the powdered sugar on very low heat. Add 1 tbsp. of milk at a time until desired consistency is achieved.
- Pour glaze over cinnamon rolls immediately, and top with remaining hazelnuts.